At Risk Youth

As schools and districts focus on the entire student and preparing them for college, career, and life, there is an evolving focus on career readiness. In the 2020 Naviance Student Survey, 66% of students stated they were on the path leading from high school to a four-year college and then to a career. The other 34% had different plans. 12% said they would attend a community or technical college before transferring to a four-year institution; 8% planned to attend a community or technical college before entering the workforce, and 5% planned to pursue their career through a combination of the military and college. However, far too often, these students are inadequately prepared for any of the above choices. Youth today are lacking sound mental health, educational skills, and career and collegiate strengths. This result is that positive outcomes are less predictable, less prevalent, and less sustainable on significant levels.
An at-risk youth is a child who is less likely to transition successfully into adulthood. Success can include academic success and job readiness, as well as the ability to be financially independent. It also can refer to becoming a positive member of society by avoiding a life of crime. There are quite a few factors to consider when determining if a teen is at-risk. School life, family life, law and crime, community, aggressive behavior, depression, sexuality, truthfulness, illegal substances, and self-esteem are all factors that should be considered. For example, if a teen is often truant or having conflict at school with teachers and other students, this could be behavior that puts the teen at risk. Rebellious teens who argue and get in conflict with family members, the law, and the community can also be considered at-risk.

The Grooming Alchemist is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt, nonprofit corporation that provides mentorship and support for at-risk youth and adults in New York. The organization was created for the community to enrich their lives with mental and emotional health support and life-building opportunities, providing a holistic approach to solving the lack of focus on the root causes of being an at-risk youth. Society is quick to label things as “learned behavior.” But at what point do we get to the root of the problem and eliminate the vicious cycle.

The Grooming Alchemist will post monthly interviews, videos, and highlights of successful people of color on youtube channel to help inspire.

The focus of programs and services offered by The Grooming Alchemist are youth and young adults living within District 9.

Select the fields to be shown. Others will be hidden. Drag and drop to rearrange the order.
  • Image
  • SKU
  • Rating
  • Price
  • Stock
  • Availability
  • Add to cart
  • Description
  • Content
  • Weight
  • Dimensions
  • Additional information
  • Attributes
  • Custom attributes
  • Custom fields
Click outside to hide the comparison bar
Compare ×
Let's Compare! Continue shopping